Tuesday, November 13, 2007

to market, to market!



What we have here is a Tofuhead doing a little tumble among some squash flowers I bought. The flowers were going to be dipped in tempura batter and deep-fried, but sadly, I was too tired (wait..I didn't mean to rhyme back there!)

They served as table-decoration for an afternoon, and spent the week waiting for me, carefully wrapped in newspaper sheets, but by the time I got to them, they were too far gone.

I have a couple more shots from that morning, some taken by Tars, showing some other stuff that I bought. The place where I work is near Farmer's Market, so it's quite easy to drop by after a shift.





I have to tell you, it's so much fun, wandering around the market at 6, 7 am--- watching the people ready their wares, weighing produce, arranging the day's vegetables, fruits and other edibles. It takes some of the stress away, in my case. I've always loved going to the market, I think it's exciting. I had always accompanied my Nanay when she'd go to the palengke in BF, so this brings back nice memories (for me. I don't know if the stall owners appreciated my poking at their veggies, fruits, fish...meat.. hahaha)

That time I was able to get some fresh mushrooms, lettuce, several sexy tomatoes, a bouquet of squash flowers, large heads of garlic and onion, a bunch of gorgeous, juicy grapes, wansoy/cilantro ( I love, love cilantro!!), all for a little less than 200php. Cooking for two has its good points.





here's the tumbling tofu head again!



After being held hostage by the nearby Champion Grocery (which seems stuck in time, overpriced and besieged by cockroaches), you can imagine my excitement!

I sauteed the 'shrooms in butter and garlic, and made a salad. Tar made the soup. And took this shot :

No comments: